Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Consolidated 1099-B, Box 1c, Description: Date sold. Amount: Various. I get an error, with Turbo Tax, indicating Date Sold-1, a date needs to be entered here.

On the 8949 there are seven transactions, for different funds within one account.  The broker indicates on there software they can list "Various" while your software indicates an error. Trying to avoid having to do seven separate 1099-B’s.
Looking for a recommended solution!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Consolidated 1099-B, Box 1c, Description: Date sold. Amount: Various. I get an error, with Turbo Tax, indicating Date Sold-1, a date needs to be entered here.

Here are the IRS's instructions for filling out Column (c)—Date Sold or Disposed Of and Column (b)—Date Acquired

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Column (c)—Date Sold or Disposed Of

Enter in this column the date you sold or disposed of the property. Use the trade date for stocks and bonds traded on an exchange or over-the-counter market. For a short sale, enter the date you delivered the property to the broker or lender to close the short sale.

If you received a Form 1099-B (or substitute statement), box 1c may help you determine when you sold or disposed of the property.

Column (b)—Date Acquired

Enter in this column the date you acquired the property. Enter the trade date for stocks and bonds you purchased on an exchange or over-the-counter market. For a short sale, enter the date you acquired the property delivered to the broker or lender to close the short sale. For property you previously elected to treat as having been sold and reacquired on January 1, 2001 (or January 2, 2001, for readily tradeable stock), enter the date of the deemed sale and reacquisition.

If you received a Form 1099-B (or substitute statement), box 1b may help you determine when you acquired the property.

Inherited property.

Generally, if you disposed of property that you acquired by inheritance, report the sale or exchange on a Part II with the appropriate box checked (D, E, or F). Enter "INHERITED" in column (b).

Stock acquired on various dates.

If you sold a block of stock (or similar property) that you acquired through several different purchases, you may report the sale on one row and enter "VARIOUS" in column (b). However, you still must report the short-term gain or (loss) on the sale on Part I and the long-term gain or (loss) on Part II.

You'll notice that the only date column where the word various is acceptable on Form 8949 is the Date Acquired column, not the Date Sold column.

Tom Young

View solution in original post

10 Replies

"Consolidated 1099-B, Box 1c, Description: Date sold. Amount: Various.

I can't follow that.  Box 1a is Description, Box 1b is Date Acquired, (in which "various" is OK), Box 1c is Date Sold, which needs a definite date, Box 1d is Proceeds, (not "Amount") which needs a definite dollar amount. Box 1e is Basis.

Sometimes and for no reason I've ever figured out the TT default 1099-B entry form seems to "scramble" the box order.  Sounds to me like you have not looked closely at what the  screen is asking for and put "various" in the date sold.  That's not allowed.

Can u help please thank u

Consolidated Form 1099-B, Box 1c, Description: Date sold, Amount : “Various”
            I get an error, with Turbo Tax, indicating Date Sold-1, cannot contain word “Various”. Only a valid date may be entered here.
On Form 8849 it lists five transaction dates on one account However, Box1c,  labeled is Various, which causes a Turbo Tax error. Broker indicates that on their software you can list in Box 1c Various and that the issue is with Turbo Tax software.

Here are the IRS's instructions for filling out Column (c)—Date Sold or Disposed Of and Column (b)—Date Acquired

Column (c)—Date Sold or Disposed Of

Enter in this column the date you sold or disposed of the property. Use the trade date for stocks and bonds traded on an exchange or over-the-counter market. For a short sale, enter the date you delivered the property to the broker or lender to close the short sale.

If you received a Form 1099-B (or substitute statement), box 1c may help you determine when you sold or disposed of the property.

Column (b)—Date Acquired

Enter in this column the date you acquired the property. Enter the trade date for stocks and bonds you purchased on an exchange or over-the-counter market. For a short sale, enter the date you acquired the property delivered to the broker or lender to close the short sale. For property you previously elected to treat as having been sold and reacquired on January 1, 2001 (or January 2, 2001, for readily tradeable stock), enter the date of the deemed sale and reacquisition.

If you received a Form 1099-B (or substitute statement), box 1b may help you determine when you acquired the property.

Inherited property.

Generally, if you disposed of property that you acquired by inheritance, report the sale or exchange on a Part II with the appropriate box checked (D, E, or F). Enter "INHERITED" in column (b).

Stock acquired on various dates.

If you sold a block of stock (or similar property) that you acquired through several different purchases, you may report the sale on one row and enter "VARIOUS" in column (b). However, you still must report the short-term gain or (loss) on the sale on Part I and the long-term gain or (loss) on Part II.

You'll notice that the only date column where the word various is acceptable on Form 8949 is the Date Acquired column, not the Date Sold column.

Tom Young
crites57

Box 1C Date Sold on my 1099-B show VARIOUS and TurboTax won't let me enter VARIOUS.  What am I supposed to do?

This seems like a bug with TurboTax that should be researched and fixed by the team.

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

To enter more than one date, or various, you must click on "Something other than a date". Then you use the dropdown to click on Various (or more than one date) for Box 1b. Please see screenshot below for additional guidance. 

@marvin16 

@AdamHurwitz 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for the reply. The question is about the "Date sold" field as seen in your screenshot above. It's not possible to enter "Various" for this field.

Is the best solution to enter 12/31/2023?

You have to know the Date Sold.   Don't you have it?  You need to enter the actual date sold.  You can enter Various for  the Date Acquired.  You have to enter each sale separately.  If you have 1 sales that has both long and short term buy dates you need to split it and enter 2 sales, one for Long Term and one for Short Term.  

Here is what a consolidated 8949 created by an exchange or tax/accounting tracking app will look like.

Screenshot 2024-05-10 at 13.37.09.png

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies