Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NRQuesti
Returning Member

Complicated Tax: Non-Resident + US Citizen Married, Want to File Jointly, but NR departed USA in 2023

Thankful in advance for any guidance.

Context

My spouse lived in IL the entire year. I (a non-resident alien for immigration purposes on F-1 STEM OPT) however did not. From 1/1/23 until early October 2023, I lived in IL state with my US citizen spouse. 

Then in early October 2023, I departed the US and returned to my home country because my F1 status was about to expire. Therefore, since October 2023, I have had to live in my home country while I've been awaiting my immigration case to proceed so I can eventually return to the US as an immigrant. 

In 2022, we filed federal & state taxes as "married filing separately" where I elected to file as resident alien for tax purposes.

I had no income outside the US in 2023. For both of us, all our income for tax year 2023 is IL-based. 

Issues

Q1: I want us to file our federal taxes as "married filing jointly" for tax year 2023, despite the fact that I did not spend the full 2023 year in the US - but my US citizen spouse did. Is this ok?

Q2: Is there any risk to me electing to be treated as IL full-year tax resident? My spouse was already a full-year IL tax resident, and it simplifies our tax filing process significantly. Reason: Namely, TurboTax Online does not support having one spouse as full-year resident and the other as part-year resident for state taxes. It requires the usage of desktop TT version and a very cumbersome process to prepare separate MFS state... something I am not interested in pursuing unless absolutely necessary. So, my question is: is there any risk to me electing to file as full-year IL tax resident for 2023?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Complicated Tax: Non-Resident + US Citizen Married, Want to File Jointly, but NR departed USA in 2023

1. MFJ is an option. See the rules here:  Nonresident Alien Spouse | Internal Revenue Service 

2. If you want to maintain your IL residency, you can. You intend to return and are temporarily absent so you can still be a resident. You can file your spouse as MFS since you are a part year resident. To do this, you can create a fake federal of MFS for your spouse and then file the IL created. See IL Filing Status

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies