Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sparkx
Returning Member

Clean vehicle credit for new couple and use one person's last year AGI to qualify.

My wife purchased a Tesla under her name in June 2023, and her modified AGI for 2022 is less than 150,000, which meets the requirements for the clean vehicle credit.

We got married in September 2023. Our joint AGI in 2023 would be more than 300,000. We all filed as single for 2022, but our AGI added together is also more than 300,000.

In order to claim the EV credit, should we file our 2023 taxes jointly or separately as married couple?

If we file jointly, how to enter it in TurboTax Desktop. The tool says "enter your 2022 income below so we can verify you qualify for the credit". I am not sure what I should put there given we are single filers in 2022. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Clean vehicle credit for new couple and use one person's last year AGI to qualify.

If you want to claim the EV credit you would have to file separately.  If you file jointly, the qualifications are based on your joint income, you can't just assign one persons income on a joint return to calculate the credit. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies