Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Claimed myself as exemption but I can be claimed on my parent's taxes

1 Reply
Level 15

Claimed myself as exemption but I can be claimed on my parent's taxes

I should have said I was a dependent but I claimed myself

Did you say you could not be claimed as someone else’s dependent, but it turns out your parent(s) can claim you?  Now your parents’ return is being rejected when they e-file, or it will be rejected.  That means your parents must print, sign, and mail their return.  They can still claim you as a dependent, but they cannot e-file now.  

Your part in fixing this is to wait until your return has been fully processed and you have received you refund.  THEN you need to file an amended return, called a 1040X, to change the way you answered that question in Personal Info about whether you can be claimed as someone else’s dependent.  You will have to print and mail the 1040X—it cannot be e-filed. You might need to repay some of your refund.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies