Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Child Tax Credit

When I submit my taxes, do I need to fill out any special form to get the Child Tax Credit refund? I already listed my dependants on my taxes, but I'm asking about the special tax credit that I should receive for my two children.  I'm filling jointly with my husband.

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

Child Tax Credit

What special tax credit are you asking about if not the Child Tax Credit?  TurboTax will apply every credit available when you complete your tax return.   Here is an article about different types of credits.   Sweet Child of Mine   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Child Tax Credit

I'm referring to the one that you have to file the form 8812. 

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Child Tax Credit

The Child Tax Credit is $2000 for children under 17.   Schedule 8812 handles the Child Tax Credit and the Other Dependent Credit, which is for children (or other dependents) age 17 or older.  It is only a $500 credit.

Child Tax Credit

Both of my kids are under 17.  From what I understood, aside from getting credit on my taxes, I'm supposed to get a separate payment per child under 17 on my taxes.  Am I understanding correctly? I'm a little confused at how this works. I appreciate your clarification. 

Child Tax Credit

@lmdavila wrote:

Both of my kids are under 17.  From what I understood, aside from getting credit on my taxes, I'm supposed to get a separate payment per child under 17 on my taxes.  Am I understanding correctly? I'm a little confused at how this works. I appreciate your clarification. 

Any refundable  tax credits you are eligible to receive on your federal tax return will be included in the federal tax refund.  The child tax credit is not a separate tax refund.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Child Tax Credit

DoninGA is correct.

The Child Tax Credit is computed on IRS Schedule 8812 in your 2023 Federal 1040 tax return.

The Child Tax Credit will be found on line 19 of your IRS form 1040 tax return.

For 2023, you must have earned income of at least $2,500 to be eligible for the refund.

You qualify for the full amount of the 2023 Child Tax Credit for each qualifying child if you meet all eligibility factors and your annual income is not more than $200,000 (or $400,000 if you are filing a joint return).

The maximum amount of the child tax credit is $2,000; for the 2023 tax return, the refundable amount is $1,600 depending on your income.  For 2023, you must have earned income (income from a job) of at least $2,500 to be eligible for the refund.

If your child is older than 16 at the end of 2023, you do not get the Child Tax Credit.  But you may still qualify for the non-refundable $500 credit for other dependents instead.

See also here.

@lmdavila 

Child Tax Credit

oh ok.  For some reason I thought that this year, aside from the credit you get on yout taxes, there was  additional money sent to parents per dependant.  

MayaD
Expert Alumni

Child Tax Credit

You are probably referring to the  Additional Child Tax Credit which can be claimed when the full Child Tax Credit can’t be used. It is the $1600 refundable amount that JamesG1 mentioned. 

What is the Additional Child Tax Credit?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies