Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

child tax credit reject 2022 tax year ?

turbo tax is saying both my children qualify but I keep getting a rejection ,Reject Code IND-116-01, for my son with birthday 1/26/15 that lives at home and a high school student . Why is turbo tax and the IRS giving conflicting eligibility ?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

I'm assuming you made a typo with the date of birth in 2015 and said your son is a high school student.  If your son's date of birth was 1/26/05, he fails to qualify for the Child Tax Credit ($2,000 per eligible child in 2022) because he was 17 or over as of 12/31/22.  He does still qualify for the Other Dependent Credit ($500 for 2022) if the following applies:

• They are your biological child, stepchild, adopted child, eligible foster child, sibling or half-sibling, stepsibling, or an offspring of any of these
  • They haven’t already been claimed for the Child Tax Credit or Credit for Other Dependents, either by you or by anyone else
  • They have an Social Security number (SSN), ITIN, or adoption taxpayer identification number (ATIN) issued on or before the due date of your return (including extensions)
  • They are a US citizen, US resident alien, or US national
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse
  • They are under the age of 19 (24 for full-time students; no age limit for permanently and totally disabled children)
  • They live with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply)
  • They didn't provide more than half of their own support for the year
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

ok , good info . Turbo tax is filling out the forms / checking boxes , so I dont understand how to fix this 

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

The first thing you should do is go back to the section where you entered information for your dependents and verify that the information you entered is correct, especially their date of birth.  

If one of your dependents is the age of 17 or older as of 16 as of December 31, 2022, then they will not be eligible for the Child Tax Credit.

The dependent information can be found in the Personal Info or My Info section of your return.  

Once you have corrected the information if there was an error, then you can resubmit your return.

@m_masters1 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies