Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gready9-

Child support garnishment is withdraw directly from my SSN every month so (1) Can I claim as dependent ? if not (2) Can I claim only the remaining of my SSN benefit ?

Child support used to be an item that you can file for deduction before so now if it becomes garnishment then can be treated as itemize of deduction ?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Child support garnishment is withdraw directly from my SSN every month so (1) Can I claim as dependent ? if not (2) Can I claim only the remaining of my SSN benefit ?

You mean from your Social Security checks?   I don't think child support was ever a deduction, only alimony.   No you can't claim a dependent unless you have custody.  

See IRS Publication 501 starting on page 11 bottom Dependents

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf

Who can I claim as a dependent?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/credits-and-deductions/help/who-can-i-claim-as-my-dependent/00/267...

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

"Child support used to be an item that you can file for deduction before so now if it becomes garnishment then can be treated as itemize of deduction ?"

VolvoGirl is correct. Child support is not tax deductible, and it never was, no matter how you pay it.

"(1) Can I claim as dependent ?"

Paying child support does not make the child your dependent. See the links that VolvoGirl provided to determine whether you can claim the child as a dependent.

"(2) Can I claim only the remaining of my SSN benefit ?"

You have to report the full amount of your Social Security benefits, as shown in box 5 of your Form SSA-1099. You cannot subtract the garnishment. It's the same as if you received the full amount of the benefits, and then wrote a check yourself to pay the child support.

SSN is your Social Security Number, not your benefits.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies