Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

charitable gift annuity

I made a Charitable Gift that was funded from my IRA.  The entire amount was the Required Minimum Distribution that I would  be normally added to my income.  However, since this was a Charitable Gift then the entire amount should be excluded from my gross income.  The problem is that my 1099R states that this was a "Normal Distribution".

How do I show on Turbotax that this amount should be excluded from income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

charitable gift annuity

I made a QCD too last year.  After you enter the 1099R keep going and it will ask if it was the RMD and then if you made a QCD.  

View solution in original post

4 Replies

charitable gift annuity

I made a QCD too last year.  After you enter the 1099R keep going and it will ask if it was the RMD and then if you made a QCD.  

charitable gift annuity

Make sure the little IRA box is checked between boxes 7&8.  I made you 2 screen shots from my Windows program.  Should be similar in the Online version

1099R RMD.jpgThen you get the QCD  question

1099R QCD.jpg

charitable gift annuity

This worked. Th

charitable gift annuity

It is not clear from your question exactly how the contribution was made. QCDs must be made directly by the trustee of the IRA to the charity. An IRA distribution, such as an electronic payment made directly to the IRA owner, does not count as a QCD. Likewise, a check made payable to the IRA owner is not a QCD.

Here are the IRS rules: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/qualified-charitable-distributions-allow-eligible-ira-owners-up-to-1000...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies