Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Charitable Carryover

My dad died and his wishes were that 34% of his estate be given to a religious organization.  I was a joint owner on his checking account and gave almost $74,000 to the organization he requested...not part of his estate.  How does carryover charitable donations work?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
NateTheGrEAt
Employee Tax Expert

Charitable Carryover

Hi @hugsnkissz1965 - thanks for chatting with us today and I'm sorry to hear of your loss. 

I take it from your question that you are looking to claim the $74,000 charitable contribution on your own tax return. To do this, you would simply enter it in the itemized deduction section of TurboTax. TurboTax will compute the amount that is available to be used this year, which could be limited based on your AGI. Any amount over the limit will automatically be carried forward to your future tax return. As long as you use the same TurboTax account next year, this information should be brought into your return without you having to do anything else!

Here's an article on how to enter charitable contributions in TurboTax for your reference. 

I hope this information was helpful!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
NateTheGrEAt
Employee Tax Expert

Charitable Carryover

Hi @hugsnkissz1965 - thanks for chatting with us today and I'm sorry to hear of your loss. 

I take it from your question that you are looking to claim the $74,000 charitable contribution on your own tax return. To do this, you would simply enter it in the itemized deduction section of TurboTax. TurboTax will compute the amount that is available to be used this year, which could be limited based on your AGI. Any amount over the limit will automatically be carried forward to your future tax return. As long as you use the same TurboTax account next year, this information should be brought into your return without you having to do anything else!

Here's an article on how to enter charitable contributions in TurboTax for your reference. 

I hope this information was helpful!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies