Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Charatable Donations even if you do not itemize

I was preparing my taxes and a prompt encoruaged me to enter my donations to charity even though I do not itemize.  I was never prompted to enter those.  How does it happen?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If you made charitable donations, enter them when prompted.  You may be eligible for a reduction of taxes, on you federal and maybe on your state return.

They are reported on form 1040, line 13. This item for this line is limited to $300 for an individual, or $600 for a joint return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post

DawnC
Expert Alumni

This is a new tax law that began last year for 2020 tax returns.  The IRS allows either a $300 or $600 (MFJ) deduction for cash donations to charity - you can take this deduction even if you take the standard deduction.   So, if you gave money to charity and you normally can't deduct it because you take the standard deduction - you can now get a deduction for that.  

The Taxpayer Certainty and Disaster Tax Relief Act of 2020, enacted last December, provides several provisions to help individuals and businesses who give to charity. The new law generally extends through the end of 2021 four temporary tax changes originally enacted by the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act. 

For more info, see IRS Expanded Benefits

When you finish the Deductions and Credits section and after you confirm you are taking either the standard or itemized deduction, TurboTax will ask about the deduction if you are taking the standard deduction.    

1. Click on Federal on the top left side menu.
  2. Then choose Deductions and Credits at the top.
  3. Scroll all the way down and click on Wrap Up Tax Breaks.  (this will trigger the questions)

@cmclaughlin16

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies