Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I cannot e-file federal. I will return by mail and want to e-file state tax. Software won't let me e-file state. Can I mail the NYS forms in? I've tried for 2 hours to e-file unsuccessfully.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
GeoffreyG

I cannot e-file federal. I will return by mail and want to e-file state tax. Software won't let me e-file state. Can I mail the NYS forms in? I've tried for 2 hours to e-file unsuccessfully.

Certainly, you can still file your New York state tax return by mail.  Please allow us to explain.

The reason that you're experiencing difficultly with e-filing a New York state tax return is almost certainly due to the fact that the TurboTax software won't allow that to happen, where the user has first selected (or was forced into) the paper file option for their federal tax return.  There is no way to "fix" this, or to change the software program to accommodate a New York state e-file.  For that, we apologize.

The underlying reasons for this, however, are that the New York Department of Taxation and Finance needs a taxpayer's Form 1040 (federal return) in order to process the state return.  Where there exists no e-file version of the TurboTax user's federal tax return, it is not possible for the software to create one just for a New York e-file effort.  Also, in an attempt to combat tax return identity fraud (theft), in cooperation with the state revenue authorities, it is not possible in TurboTax to e-file just a state tax return alone, without an accompanying e-file federal tax return.

Thus, despite New York's mandate for e-filing, you are left with a couple of reasonable choices.  We have a Frequently Asked Questions webpage (at the link below), with some helpful details on New York:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901383-is-there-a-penalty-if-i-don-t-e-file-my-new-york-return

Probably the easiest thing to do, however, is to simply ignore the New York e-file mandate (for the very good reason that you are unable to comply in TurboTax, having already paper filed a federal tax return), and print and mail your state return to New York, along with signed copies of Pages 1 and 2 of your Form 1040 (or 1040A or 1040EZ).  Here is a link to the valid, official, New York mailing addresses that you can use for this paper filing purpose:

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/file/return_assembly_mail.htm

Thank you for asking this important question, and once again we regret any inconvenience.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
GeoffreyG

Certainly, you can still file your New York state tax return by mail.  Please allow us to explain.

The reason that you're experiencing difficultly with e-filing a New York state tax return is almost certainly due to the fact that the TurboTax software won't allow that to happen, where the user has first selected (or was forced into) the paper file option for their federal tax return.  There is no way to "fix" this, or to change the software program to accommodate a New York state e-file.  For that, we apologize.

The underlying reasons for this, however, are that the New York Department of Taxation and Finance needs a taxpayer's Form 1040 (federal return) in order to process the state return.  Where there exists no e-file version of the TurboTax user's federal tax return, it is not possible for the software to create one just for a New York e-file effort.  Also, in an attempt to combat tax return identity fraud (theft), in cooperation with the state revenue authorities, it is not possible in TurboTax to e-file just a state tax return alone, without an accompanying e-file federal tax return.

Thus, despite New York's mandate for e-filing, you are left with a couple of reasonable choices.  We have a Frequently Asked Questions webpage (at the link below), with some helpful details on New York:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901383-is-there-a-penalty-if-i-don-t-e-file-my-new-york-return

Probably the easiest thing to do, however, is to simply ignore the New York e-file mandate (for the very good reason that you are unable to comply in TurboTax, having already paper filed a federal tax return), and print and mail your state return to New York, along with signed copies of Pages 1 and 2 of your Form 1040 (or 1040A or 1040EZ).  Here is a link to the valid, official, New York mailing addresses that you can use for this paper filing purpose:

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/file/return_assembly_mail.htm

Thank you for asking this important question, and once again we regret any inconvenience.
bud_white

You say "there is no way to "fix" this, or to change the software
 program to accommodate a New York state e-file." This is an extremely serious deficiency in your product that still exists in your 2018 tax prep software!! To say "there is no way to fix this" is irresponsible!! There's always a way to fix software. I'm ticked because I'm forced to file my father's federal return by mail this year and can't e-file NY now. Lot's of extra work and if NY rejects my return because I didn't e-file I will REALLY BE TICKED OFF.
dmfree56

Agreed. TurboTax should accommodate NYS e-file requirements. There is no excuse. I have been using TT since 1995. This is the first time they have let me down.
bmmcg
Returning Member

I'm so annoyed I cannot complete my e-file for NYS .  Makes no sense.  

This extra layer of "security" is really just a way for tax preparation companies to fleece you. For what reason should they prohibit users from filing state returns on their own? This is to prevent you from buying individual Federal+State programs and just using the state filing. The truth is they bundle these programs, and if you want to file an additional state (i.e. like you live in one state and work in another) they can upcharge you for the second state (Charge you 40 dollars for the software download, + 20 for the Efile). This is a healthy revenue stream for them, so they are trying to lock you into a complicated "security" scheme so you can't actually use the software as you intended and you have to pay their upsells.

There are plenty of players in this space now where you can prepare and file your state return (and only your state return) for 10-15 dollars. Google one of them, and save yourself a big headache. This is the last time I use TurboTax (and most of the others try to upsell as well). Looks like I'll be turning to the startups in this space from now on.

This also happens with the Deluxe Edition and also for the 2020 tax returns.  One would think that this deficiency would be resolved already.  It is pretty sad that this hasn't been addressed in over a year.   This is the kind of thing that makes TT lose clients.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies