Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Capitol Gains/Need to Upgrade

For the past two years, I've  filed using Turbotax's free version. In both of those years, one of my 1099-Div form showed capitol gains. I have the same 1099-Div this year, which again shows capitol gains (Schedule D is NOT needed). But now, when I attempt to file, I receive a message that I need to upgrade because the free version can't handle capitol gains. I'm flummoxed by this considering that my 2022 tax situation is the same as it was in 2020 and 2021. Did Turbotax change its criteria for what situations require an upgrade?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

It shows here on the forms page that this would still be included in the free version. 

Has anything else changed that may require you to upgrade?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi Carissa, no, nothing else has changed. I have just one W-2, one bank interest statement, and one 1099 showing capitol gains, all the same as last year. And when I try to file, the sole reason given for the needed upgrade is this: "You have Capitol Gains on a 1099-DIV. TurboTax Free Edition is only for simple returns. It does not cover this situation." I've taken a screen shot of this message, however I can't seem to upload it here.  Is there any way someone can trouble shoot this for me?

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

TurboTax makes product changes every year. This year, TurboTax Basic does not handle capital gains from a 1099-DIV.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Ernie, thank you for clarifying.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies