Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Capital gain/loss info from Schedule D is not transferring correctly to 1040, not the same number. Why is this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Capital gain/loss info from Schedule D is not transferring correctly to 1040, not the same number. Why is this?

If Line 16 of your Schedule D is a gain, this amount should transfer to Line 13 of your Form 1040.

If Line 16 of your Schedule D is a loss less than $3,000, the full amount of the loss should carry to Line 13 of your Form 1040.

If Line 16 of your Schedule D is a loss more than $3,000, only $3,000 should carry to Line 13 of your Form 1040.  The remainder of your loss will be carried forward each year until it is completely used up.  The maximum capital loss each year on your Form 1040 is $3,000.

If this doesn't address your question, please comment below so that I can assist you further.

Thank you. I was not noticing line 13 of Sch D that was throwing my numbers off. All good. Thanks again.
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

You're welcome! Glad I could help.
btirvin

My 2016 Sched D Line 7 matches the transferred information. However my 2016 Line 15 is positive and line 26 is zero. The transferred information shows a large negative number in line 15, and line 21 shows -$3,000. Which data is correct?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies