Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can you help me figure out why I went from getting $6,000 to $700? I’m not sure what happened but I know that isn’t right ?

When I first did my taxes it said I was getting 6,000 then it dropped to $700 after they asked to put what my husband taxes he got in 2023 when he worked in 2022. He didn’t work all of 2023 so I’m not sure why my taxes got taken away. If anything he was another dependent. He stayed at home with our 2 kids so I didn’t get even get my child tax credit. Something went wrong and I need help fixing it.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Can you help me figure out why I went from getting $6,000 to $700? I’m not sure what happened but I know that isn’t right ?

Your refund was not "taken away"----that refund monitor changes constantly as you enter information.  You cannot take the amount you see seriously until all of the information has been entered.

But explain--"they asked to put what my husband taxes he got in 2023 when he worked in 2022. He didn’t work all of 2023" 

What exactly did you enter for your spouse for 2023?  Was he on unemployment?   What did you enter when that refund amount dropped?    Did you enter a 1099G for unemployment that he got in 2023?

And....no, you cannot claim your spouse as a dependent.  A spouse cannot ever be claimed as a dependent.

Not sure why you think your spouse staying at home means you did not get child tax credit.   Your child tax credit would not be affected by a stay at home parent.   The childcare credit would be affected-- you cannot get the childcare credit if a parent was the childcare provider.  You can only get the childcare credit if you paid someone to take care of your child so you could work.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies