Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can you file electronically for a deceased person if you are the personal representative? I was under the impression that I couldy but keep getting an error message

I am the personal representative for my stepdad as well as the sole heir in his will. If I check the box that I am the personal representative it says that I can't file electronically. Talked to Turbotax and they said that the issue was because I was using the app. I am continuing to have the same issues on the Desktop version of TurboTax. When I first did the Desktop version it would allow me to file electronically when I was trying to fill out the Form 1310 and it kept asking the same questions over and I accidentally checked the boxes that there was no personal representative but there is a will and that I would distribute the refund according to the will. Which there is a will and I am the sole beneficiary so that is correct. When I realized the mistake when I was going over the forms it wouldn't let me correct it so I deleted the form. Then I had issues trying to get the form back but then was able to add it but I am having issues with it if I check the Personal Representative box. Although it says in order to file electronically as the personal representative you just need to send the Form 1310 in to the IRS if you haven't already provided it to the IRS which I have. There is also a box to check that you have already provided it to the IRS which I have. Anyone have any experience with this issue or know how to fix it.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Can you file electronically for a deceased person if you are the personal representative? I was under the impression that I couldy but keep getting an error message

on the info worksheet in Part VI did you enter your name? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies