Macistevison

Can we use the same address

Can my ex and I use the same address when filing taxes if I’m filing HOH and he’s filing MFS? All his mail goes to my house “which was our house”. 

Can we use the same address

If you are not legally married as of 12/31/2019 then you can file either as Single or Head of Household if you are eligible.  See this TurboTax support FAQ for HOH - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/family/help/do-i-qualify-for-head-of-household/01/25539

Can you both use the same address?  Yes

Can your ex spouse file as Married Filing Separately?  NO, if he has not remarried he can only file as Single

Can we use the same address

Yes.  Use whatever address you want the IRS to send any letters.

Macistevison

Can we use the same address

We are not “legally”divorced. Just separated. A lady from H&R told me to file as HOH and him file as MFS. 

Can we use the same address

@Macistevison  wrote:

If you are legally married and living in the same home as your spouse, then you cannot file your tax return as Head of Household.  You can only file as either MFJ or MFS.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for filing HOH when married - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/married/help/can-a-married-person-claim-head-of-household-filing-s...

Macistevison

Can we use the same address

We don’t live together. We are separated. He just still receives mail here. So i wanted to make sure he could put my address on his return. 

Can we use the same address

@Macistevison  wrote:

Ok...In that case you will be fine using the same address and filing as HOH and your spouse filing as MFS.

Macistevison

Can we use the same address

Would the irs ask for his proof of residency? Or is the address more so just where he receives mail and not so much where he resides?

Can we use the same address

@Macistevison  wrote:

Where he receives his mail.  Many people receive their mail at one address and actually live at another address.

Macistevison

Can we use the same address

That’s what I thought. I just wanted to make sure. Thankyou for your help i appreciate it!

Jeomarroquin

Can we use the same address

Hi so im kinda in the same situation you were did everything work out for you by filing hoh and seperated husband mfs?

DanielV01

Can we use the same address

To see whether you might qualify to claim as Head of Household, please see the following link:  Do I qualify for Head of Household in 2020?  Since you were legally married in 2021, here's a link that can assist you to determine if you are allowed to use this status:  Can a married person claim Head of Household filing status?