Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can TurboTax calculate my estimated taxes on the annualized income installment method?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Can TurboTax calculate my estimated taxes on the annualized income installment method?

Annualizing income has no effect on the calculation of your income tax liability.  It only can affect the amount of under-withholding penalty you might otherwise have to pay.  TurboTax does support the preparation of Schedule AI of Form 2210.

If you are asking if the program can calculate the quarterly estimated payments for 2024 using the AI method the answer is no.  The program uses the safe harbor method.  

dmertz
Level 15

While annualizing income allows you to make estimated tax payments sufficient to cover only a particular tax quarter's income, forcing yourself to have to annualize income to avoid an underpayment penalty can be frustrating due to the substantial effort that you might have to expend to prepare Schedule AI of Form 2210.

You could use the CD/download version of 2023 TurboTax to prepare a rough simulation of your 2024 tax return to include Schedule AI and Form 2210 where it would show an approximation of your required quarterly tax payments.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies