Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can Turbo Tax provide my 2022 signature ID (also called a self-select PIN)? My hard drive crashed and I lost all my information.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
SharonD007
Expert Alumni

Can Turbo Tax provide my 2022 signature ID (also called a self-select PIN)? My hard drive crashed and I lost all my information.

If you are referring to an IP PIN (Identity Protection PIN) which is a 6-digit number that the IRS provides to taxpayers to validate their identity, you will need to contact the IRS. TurboTax doesn't have that information.

Refer to the following TurboTax Help articles What's an IP PIN? Do I need one? and How do I get my 6-digit IP PIN?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My 5 digit  2022 signature ID (also called a self-select PIN)  is different than the 6 digit IRS Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN). The 2022 5 digit signature ID (also called a self-select PIN) was self assigned. The IP PIN is only assigned be the IRS either by tax payer request or IRS determination of a fraudulent tax return situation.  My 2023 return is being rejected for electronic filing because I do not have the 5 digit 2022 signature ID (also called a self-select PIN) that I self assigned last year. Can Turbo Tax provide my 2022  5 digit signature ID?

@ med87-aol-com 

[NOTE:  Edited with additional info 3/14/2024 at 8:15 PM Pacific]

How did you prepare your 2022 return?   Was it prepared in Online TurboTax or desktop software (CD/download)?   There is a 2022 worksheet called "Federal Information Worksheet" that shows what 5-digit PIN was used last year, but as I'll explain below, you do not need it to efile your 2023 return.   I know it's on that worksheet in the desktop version, so I assume it's on that worksheet in the Online version as well, but I can't test that.   In any case, if you used desktop TurboTax and lost all your data, you can't retrieve it anyway.  But if you used Online TurboTax last year, you may be able to get that worksheet by getting a PDF of the return with all the worksheets, but that's a lot of work to go through when you don't need it.

What was your actual efile rejection code and error message?    It likely mentioned prior-year AGI or prior-year PIN.

TurboTax Support can't provide you that 5-digit self-select PIN, but you don't need to use the 2022 self-select PIN to verify your return.  Most people use the 2022 AGI in the AGI field.    You can tell TurboTax you want to use another method and use the AGI field and enter the 2022 AGI from your original (not amended) return.

The program does ask on a screen called "Signature" or "Sign your return" (or similar words), for you to enter a self-select PIN to sign for this year (5 digits of your choosing) as well as enter your birthdate and today's date.   If you remember the PIN you choose this year, you can use it again next year, but it's not required, since most people use the prior-year AGI method.

@ med87-aol-com 

Here's some more info.  Is this following FAQ the rejection error notice you got?   If so, it has a lot of info on how to fix it.

FAQ: How do I fix e-file reject IND-031-04 or IND-032-04?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/rejected-tax-return/fix-e-file-reject-in...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies