Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can TT provide a substitute TIN for the United Nations JSPF since the UN has no TIN?

Can tt provide a substitute tin for the united nations joint staff pension fund since the irs knows that the united nations does not have a tin?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Can TT provide a substitute TIN for the United Nations JSPF since the UN has no TIN?

TurboTax does not have the ability to issue nor suggest TIN numbers.

If you have an income document from the United Nations, we can try to find a way to post it.

Please give us some information about what it was for.

Or you can call the United nations and try to get additional information.

• Public Inquiries
  • 212-963-4475
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for your message. Sorry for the confusion.  TT Community last year & in years before has provided an over ride number for the United nations Pension Fund payer's TIN box since the IRS knows that the  UN does not have a TIN and does not provide  us taxpayers a 1040 R. I did fill out Form 4852 on Turbo Tax but Turbo Tax STILL rejects my 1040. and keeps giving me an error message.  My "document" is simply the total pension payment for the year without taking out my pension investment tax free part.  Either I've made an error or the TT program needs a pathway for this situation.  Still hoping someone can help but time grows short.

also - the UN does not provide tax help since it serves 150 countries.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Here are a couple of threads that discuss the data entry of UN income in TurboTax. It seems that entering it as Other Income is often preferable because it does not require a TIN for the UN. 

However, it sometimes causes a problem with state returns. If it does for you, tell us which state and what the problem it, and we'll research it.

Also, don't blame TurboTax for this; blame the IRS's e-file process that checks for TINs during e-file, and when it doesn't match, then the e-file is rejected. It does this to enhance the security of the e-file process.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/retirement/discussion/as-a-retiree-i-receive-monthly-payments-from...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/i-have-foreign-pension-income-an...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies