turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Can't open an old tax file

What could possibly be on a 2015 return that you need now ?  

Certainly, you can enter this as a teacher expense and it becomes deductible.

I am just now doing 2017 and 2018 tax returns and need information on the 2015 returns to complete my 2017 federal taxes. I have been working overseas for the last three years and have a waiver to submit these late.

@MysticalRose wrote:

Certainly, you can enter this as a teacher expense and it becomes deductible.

Teachers expenses directly related to your job as an educator.  Not filing personal tax returns.

Per the IRS

Qualified expenses are amounts you paid or incurred for participation in professional development courses, books, supplies, computer equipment (including related software and services), other equipment, and supplementary materials that you use in the classroom. For courses in health or physical education, the expenses for supplies must be for athletic supplies. This deduction is for expenses paid or incurred during the tax year.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Really this is a bit much. Are you a tax examiner working for the IRS? Or some kind of investigator? Or some kind of law enforcement personnel? This is over the top, sir.

@MysticalRose wrote:

Really this is a bit much. Are you a tax examiner working for the IRS? Or some kind of investigator? Or some kind of law enforcement personnel? This is over the top, sir.

None of the above - you made a claim that you can enter this as a teacher expense and I pointed our that you are not correct.

I am simply quoting the IRS regulations as published in IRS Pub 17,  page 137 that explains what the qualified educators expenses can be.   I would not want you to file a fraudulent tax return and claim a personal expense as a qualified educator expense.

Read it yourself that spells it out in detail as to what and cannot be deducted as educator expenses.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p17.pdf

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Sir, please refrain from responding to any of my Turbo Tax posts and I will do the same for you.

I did not come to this website seeking tax advice; I came simple to seek suggestions on how I might open a 2015 Turbo Tax File and nothing more.

At this point, I consider your posts to be a form a harassment and I respectfully request that you cease and desist from any further comments on this thread with me. 

Thank you.

So, I wish to give a testimony on this service:

https://www.taxprinter.com/

It worked for me! I had a 2015 Turbo Tax Return that I had not saved as a PDF file (shame on me!) and was no longer able to use my 2015 Turbo Tax software to open this return. I contacted this service and they opened it immediately at a cost of $49.99 (or approximate). As I needed the information to file my 2017 returns (for which I had a waiver to submit late), it was well worth the cost. 

This was the only avenue open to me to retrieve the needed information stored in these returns.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies