Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can't file because of R0000-503-02 rejection

I've read all he help articles regarding this type of rejection and nothing I could find applied in my case.  I think the IRS or TurboTax made a mistake and I can't afford to mail in my return.  Here's my situation:

I moved to the Philippines in 2022 and got married mid-2023.  My wife was born and raised in the Philippines and has NEVER been outside the country..  She has never filed anything with the IRS or SSA.  

I tried to file jointly on my 2023 return and followed the instructions for someone who does not have a SS# or TIN by entering [removed] in the SS# field for my wife.

My return got rejected saying the SS# does not match what the IRS has on file for her.  I think they ONLY reason they have anything on file for her is because on my 2022 return I reported her as a non-dependent and left the SS field blank.  I can't leave it blank now that we are married and filing jointly.    TurboTax won't let me file and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do.  Is there anyway to get around the rejection so I can file?

Alternatively, is there a way I can send the IRS a pdf copy of my return?  I am extremely poor, the province paid for my TurboTax, I'm using a borrowed computer to run TurboTax, I don't have a printer or access to  printer, and I can't afford the postage to mail in my return.   Please help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

You can file MFS electronically with "NRA" listed as the spouse (sometimes, it doesn't always work).  However, the IRS doesn't contact you with a form to get her US ITIN.  You have to initiate that process. 

In order to file Married Filing Jointly you will need to print your tax return and attach Form W-7 to it.  You then send the signed W-7 and the required supporting documents to the address in the W-7 instructions (which also outline which supporting documents are required).  

The IRS will issue the ITIN and then insert that number on your tax return before forwarding it for processing.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies

you can't e-file a joint return without the spouse's SSN or TIN. There is no workaround.. Also with a joint return any income your wife had must be included.   

But it says in the TurboTax instructions to put in [removed] and the IRS will contact me with a form for getting her a US TIN.  Why didn't that work?

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

You can file MFS electronically with "NRA" listed as the spouse (sometimes, it doesn't always work).  However, the IRS doesn't contact you with a form to get her US ITIN.  You have to initiate that process. 

In order to file Married Filing Jointly you will need to print your tax return and attach Form W-7 to it.  You then send the signed W-7 and the required supporting documents to the address in the W-7 instructions (which also outline which supporting documents are required).  

The IRS will issue the ITIN and then insert that number on your tax return before forwarding it for processing.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies