Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can't Enter License Code Activation Key - TurboTax 2022

TurboTax Home and Business 2022 - both CD and download (supplied by Intuit Support) installation - For Windows 10 Professional on SurfacePro tablet

On initial startup, the Activate TurboTax dialog appears and requires the Activation Key.  However, the License Code field doesn't accept any input from the keyboard.   And it is not possible to enter the key in Notepad and Copy/Paste it into the field (as I have often had to do in prior years with TurboTax dialogs while preparing my return - although I never had this issue with Activation before this year).

I successfully resolved this problem on both my SurfacePro tablets by holding the stylus on the License Code field in the Activate TurboTax dialog box until a blue teardrop appeared.  Then, while still holding the stylus there, I pressed the Tab key until the field turned pink, and the 'Enter A Valid License Code' message appeared.

Once this happened, I was successfully able to type the Activation Code into the field from the keyboard.  I repeated this same process on both my SurfacePros, one with the original CD installation, and the other with the Download from Intuit Support.  It behaved the same way for both.

Hope this helps others.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

39 Replies
surefall

I was able to use your method to get the blue teardrop.  Then I skipped over to the Windows Notepad program, typed in the license code, copied it, went back to TurboTax ... and clicked on the blue teardrop and selected "Paste".  This got the field to fill.  Then I was able to proceed through activation.

Thanks for the assist!

Thank you so much.  I was on the phone with an agent and I found your advice. It worked! The agent is reporting it. I don't know how you figured this one out. Thanks for Sharing

Michele

I had the same problem of not being able to enter the license code on the Turbo Tax activation page.  I copied the code, held my finger on the screen until the blue teardrop appeared and was then able to paste it in.  Thanks for the help!

it worked but it's crazy that we have to go through these hoops to activate a product we paid for. Intuit could just fix the box to accept the code from the first try

I was actually on my second support call with Intuit when I stumbled onto this technique.  I told them about it at the time, so maybe they'll pass the word around with each other for everyone else.  I also found that hitting the tab key a few times would get it to the point of permitting keyboard entry of the Activation Key.  As someone else commented here though, it is pretty sad that a major software company like Intuit is rushing code to its substantial customer base without adequately testing it first - especially on something so essential and basic as Activation.

kswrtz

Thank-you, this allowed me to enter my product key, but I'm having the same issue entering data...is anyone else having a similar problem?

Thank you so much for the tip!!  I found with windows 11 touch screen, I had to select the field until the teardrop appeared, clicked tab a couple of times until the field turned red then it allowed me to copy and paste from the notepad.  

Deepblue

This solved my problem. Thanks for sharing.

I had to copy and paste to get pass license code then everything was till I got to 1099 entry when it would not allow keyboard entry once again

ODYanks

Thank you so much for your tip. I am now able to enter the activation code on my Windows 11 touchscreen laptop computer.

bdolinsk

I was on the phone with intuit for more than an hour trying to explain the issue. I kept getting bounced from person to person and they decided it was a technical issue of my surface. BUT the solution of typing the activation code into the notepad and then pasting it into the code box using the blue tear drop prompt box worked! Genius to who figured this out.

Many thanks for the "tab" idea. I'd tried every other solution listed on intuit and nothing worked. It still took five or six tries at revisiting the tab key, but then it finally worked! Thanks!

I have gone crazy with this problem.  Your solution works.  I have a problem with Intuit making this so complicated.  Thank you

golfrdoc

I cannot FIND any License Code for TTax 2022.  Please contact me with help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies