Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can't e-file US 2019 returns, website telling me information is incomplete. Asks for state/zip, but I don't live in US. How can I move forward and efile?

I live in Canada, and was trying to file my US taxes for 2019, since I'm a US citizen. I've filled out all the information, and I've paid, but it won't let me file and save my returns; It says that I'm missing personal information, like 'state and zip.' Problem is, I don't HAVE a state or zip. I have put in my Canadian address, and I've gone through the entire 'My Info' section again to make sure I haven't missed anything, and I can confirm I haven't.

I have tried logging out and back in, and I've tried Chrome, Firefox, and Edge and keep getting the same issue. I have also confirmed that my $90 payment has gone through. What can I do to either get this filed? Am I better off just asking for a refund?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

Can't e-file US 2019 returns, website telling me information is incomplete. Asks for state/zip, but I don't live in US. How can I move forward and efile?

You need to change the address type to Foreign in the My Info section..  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It is already set to this. I have put in my Canadian address in full, and it's still not letting me submit.

pleclerc
Returning Member

I have the same issue as well. I was able to input a Canadian address for my actual return, but the "File" section of the Turbotax website does not allow a non-US address to be entered. What are non-residents supposed to do?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies