Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can't E File NYS Joint Return - since 1 person was full year NYC Resident while spouse was part year NYC Resident??

Hello.  When I attempt to E-File the NYS Return, I get a message from TT that E filing a joint return is not allowed when 1 person was a full year NYC Resident while the spouse was a part year NYC Resident?? 

Can you please review and advise if indeed this is accurate and if there is any override that I can do so that I can E File, and avoid having to print out the full return and mail it via the Post Office?

Thanks.

David

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Can't E File NYS Joint Return - since 1 person was full year NYC Resident while spouse was part year NYC Resident??

That is correct.  If you do not have the same residency status, you would need to file separate returns.  So, without seeing what you have on your actual return, one of you will need to file a Full Year return and the other a Part year return.  Do you see 2 separate returns included in your state section?  One for each of you?  

What you will need to do is file a dummy return for your federal as MFS, so you can prepare a state return for both of you filing separately. 

How do I prepare a joint federal return and separate state returns?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies