Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can someone please tell me how I take head of household without taking the dependency exemption this year?

I am a full time single mom but under the agreement Dad gets to claim dependency exemption (but not Head of Household).  In Turbo Tax, I can't find a way to do this.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Can someone please tell me how I take head of household without taking the dependency exemption this year?

The screens can be tricky. Basically, if the question applies to residence, it pertains to Head of Household. You have to indicate that you are allowing the other parent to claim the exemption.

Dependency Questions:

What's Megan's relationship to you?

We know Megan is_, but we have to ask: Did she pay for most of her living expenses?

Do you have an agreement with Megan's other parent about who can claim her?

Is Megan's other parent claiming Megan per your legal agreement?

Are you letting Megan's other parent claim Megan for 2020?

Head of Household Questions:

How many months did Megan live with you in 2020?

Where did Megan spend the most nights in 2020?

Did a relative live in your home and help support Megan?

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Are you the custodial parent?  Do you have an agreement with the other parent to allow the other parent to claim them--due to divorce or that you live apart and share custody?  Did one of you sign a Form 8332?

If there is a signed 8332 then the custodial parent retains the right to file as Head of Household, get earned income credit and the childcare credit.  The non-custodial parent gets the child tax credit for children under the age of 17.

As far as the IRS is concerned, the custodial parent is the one with whom the child spent the most nights during the tax year--at least 183 nights.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

The screens can be tricky. Basically, if the question applies to residence, it pertains to Head of Household. You have to indicate that you are allowing the other parent to claim the exemption.

Dependency Questions:

We know Megan is_, but we have to ask: Did she pay for most of her living expenses?

Do you have an agreement with Megan's other parent about who can claim her?

Is Megan's other parent claiming Megan per your legal agreement?

Are you letting Megan's other parent claim Megan for 2020?

Head of Household Questions:

How many months did Megan live with you in 2020?

Where did Megan spend the most nights in 2020?

Did a relative live in your home and help support Megan?

Thank you - this helped very much and I was able to do it!

Thank you - yes, I am the custodial parent and the only agreement is that Dad can claim the dependency exemption every other year.  I was able to fix it in TT by following the steps in the answer provided above.  Thank you for taking the time to respond!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies