Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

dmertz
Level 15

Can Someone Guide Us How to Fix Excess Contributions Made to HSA in 2023-2024 While on Medicare-After 2023 Tax Return Was Already Filed

The funds came out of the account and you have constructive receipt of the funds (by having a check in your had that can be cashed), so I would think that it would have to be treated as a distribution.  Whether or not the HSA can do anything to pretend that the distribution never happened, say, by putting a stop-payment on the check, is between you (actually your wife since it's her HSA) and the HSA custodian.  If that doesn't happen, there was a distribution and returning it to an HSA owned by your wife would have to be done as a 60-day rollover.

In your other thread you mentioned that the HSA custodian somehow calculated an amount of excess, but I am still curious as to how they came up with the number that they did.  Did they, based on their mistaken belief that no contributions were permitted to be deposited during October, November and December, simply total the amount deposited during those three months?

Can Someone Guide Us How to Fix Excess Contributions Made to HSA in 2023-2024 While on Medicare-After 2023 Tax Return Was Already Filed

@dmertz Yes, that's exactly what they did, $692 is the amount which was deposited tom my wife's HSA from October to December.

I'm gonna call them this week, how do we roll over this if they won't agree to reverse this, although they mentioned that this is possible?  Can we ask them to open a second HSA or do we open a new HSA in a different bank. Do we have to tell them to treat this as a roll over instead of excess contribution? Thanks

dmertz
Level 15

A rollover can be made to any HSA in your wife's name:  the original HSA, a different HSA at the original custodian or an HSA at a different custodian.  It has to be recorded as a rollover deposit.

Delete

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies