Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can my parents claim me as dependent when I am 22 years old, was full time student for 5 months, they provided more than 50% of my support, and I made $15,800 income?

how can it be that turbo tax says I am not dependent on my parents' return but I am their dependent on my return
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Can my parents claim me as dependent when I am 22 years old, was full time student for 5 months, they provided more than 50% of my support, and I made $15,800 income?

They must have answered a question wrong.  You qualify as their dependent.  

There are a couple questions you could have answered wrong under My Info.  Click on My Info then click Edit by Dependents, then click Edit by their name and go though all the screens again.

First of all check their date of birth.  Also you need to enter a ssn for them.

If your child was away at college, count the number of months away as having lived with you.  The correct answer to claim the person is to say "the whole year". This will indicate you supported the person the whole year, thus it will be entered on your return correctly showing up as a dependent.   Or if your child was born during the year they are considered to have lived with you the whole year so be sure to answer All Year (pick the top box for the Whole Year).

Or the one that says did your CHILD pay more than half of their support.  It's not asking if you did.

If you can't get it to change then try completely deleting them and re-entering them.  Sometimes that helps to clear something out.

i'm guessing but they may have answered the full-time student question incorrectly. the tax rules say a full-time student is one who is enrolled full-time in an accredited school (but not online or correspondence schools) during any part of 5 calendar months during the calendar year or took a full-time course of institutional on-farm training under the supervision of an accredited agency 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies