Solved: Can legal fees be deducted for keeping guardianship of my grandsons? Their mother who is in prison is attempting to remove them from our guardianship

Can legal fees be deducted for keeping guardianship of my grandsons? Their mother who is in prison is attempting to remove them from our guardianship

I am guardian for my two grand sons whose mother is in prison. She has been causing problems by calling DFCS and trying to remove my guardianship. Are my legal fees to protect my guardianship and grandsons deductible?

Sorry, personal legal expenses are not deductible.

In general, legal expenses are only deductible when they are associated with collecting taxable income or collecting and paying tax.

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
**If a post answers your question, choose it by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer".**