Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

arif_ny

Can i tax file as Single if wife live outside US and never travel to USA yet?

I've married on Oct,2014. My wife live outside US and never travel to USA yet. Also she doesn't have income. In this case can i tax file as single?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Arif,

please disregard the discussion in the other answer.

If you are married at the end of the year, your only options are married filing separately or married filing jointly (or if you have a qualifying child living with you as HoH).

Assuming you are a resident alien, US citizen or permanent resident, the information below applies to you. If you are neither of those or are not sure, please post back with your visa status and time in the US.

Filing a tax return with a non-resident alien spouse

If a person is not a US citizen, permanent resident or resident alien, they are considered a non-resident alien.

There are several reasons why someone is a non-resident alien.

•         They live abroad

•         They were in the US but don’t meet the Substantial Presence Test

•         They are in the US but are an exempt individual (J, Q, F, M, A, G visa holders meeting certain conditions, see http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/The-Green-Card-Test-and-the-Substantial-Prese...)

Generally, a non-resident alien (NRA) cannot file a joint return. That would mean that if you are married to a NRA, you would need to file as married filing separately or HoH if you have a qualifying child and meet the HoH requirements.

Filing married filing separately requires providing the SSN/ITIN for your spouse. However, NRAs often do not have an ITIN/SSN. If they are not required to get an ITIN (meaning they are not required to file a US tax return), you can file without it and write “NRA” in the field for the ITIN/SSN. Note however, that you wont be able to e-file doing this.

If the NRA spouse has no US source income, the other spouse can also take an exemption for the NRA spouse on a married filing separately return. In order to do this, the NRA spouse needs to apply for an ITIN if they don’t have an SSN/ITIN.

Another option is to file married filing jointly. Since an NRA can not do that, both spouses need to sign a statement that they both choose to treat the NRA spouse as a resident alien for the entire year. This allows them to file jointly. The choice is valid for any following year unless suspended or revoked.

Treating the NRA spouse as resident alien means that they are required to report worldwide income. If they have foreign earned income, they might be able to use the foreign earned income exclusion on form 2555(if the meet either the bona fide residency or physical presence test) and/or use the foreign paid tax credit on form 1116.

Filing jointly will also require the NRA spouse treated as resident alien for tax purposes to have an SSN or ITIN.

For more info read here:

Publication 519:

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Publication-519,-U.S.-Tax-Guide-for-Aliens-1

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/U.S.-Citizens-and-Resident-Aliens-Abroad---No...

ITIN

To get an ITIN (Individual Tax Identification Number) you will need to fill out form W7 and attach it to the front of your tax return. You will also need to submit additional documentation to prove your identity and status. A passport is the only stand alone document, otherwise you need to submit two documents (see instructions). You can submit original documents, however, it is safer to submit copies. These copies need to certified by the issuing agency.

Send your return, form W7 and the supporting documents to the address in the instructions (see link below).

You can also apply in person at an IRS office handling ITIN applications (see link ITIN Acceptance Agents).

Turbotax does not support form W7, but you can download it and fill it out manually (or using a pdf editor).

Form W7:

www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw7.pdf

Instructions for Form W7:

www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw7.pdf

ITIN Acceptance Agents (US and international)

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Acceptance-Agent-Program

To apply for an ITIN from abroad:

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Obtaining-an-ITIN-from-Abroad

Additional publications of interest:

http://www.irs.gov/file_source/pub/irs-pdf/p1915.pdf

www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p 501 .pdf

www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p 515 .pdf

www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p 519 .pdf

View solution in original post

33 Replies

You cannot file as single if you are married. What is your visa status and how long have you been in the US?

I been here since 0ct 2004. Im a permanent residence.  But my wife is in philippines.

How does one put in a Social Security No. if said wife does not have a SSN and is a foreign citizen?

@johncarlos808   As SweetieJean said in your question, and as Bine22 says below, you can NOT file your tax return as Single.
helloa

I have a same kind of question as I am a permanent resident in US. I married in 2016 going back to my country. And I filled to immigrant visa(Green Card) in same year(2016) for My wife. She just entered in US on March 3rd, 2018 in Immigrant visa. Now she has SSN.
Now I am going to file my 2017 tax return. At This time, what filling status should I mention, "married jointly", "married separately" or "single" ?
for Last year(2016), I filled as a single because, I did not have her SSN.

If I was married outside the USA and I reside with my spouse outside the USA yet I am still responsible for filing taxes AND we aren't planning on a move back to the USA...why not just file as a single? How many damn forms and numbers do we really have to have in life?

If I (a US citizen) was married outside the USA and I reside with my foreign spouse outside the USA and I am still responsible for filing taxes AND we aren't planning on a move back to the USA...why not just file as a single? How many damn forms and numbers do we really have to have in life?

@dulkumar7  For 2016 you will need to amend your return. You cannot file single if you are married. Please see answer below for how to file with a nonresident alien spouse

@Registered That is just the law, if you are married, you need to file either married filing jointly or separately or as Head of Household, if you qualify

@Registered In addition to that being the law:  if your foreign spouse makes less than you do and you file MFJ you would have lower taxes, too.
helloa

My wife has lower income than mine. Even yearly she does not have about 3 thousands income in 2017. Should I mention her foreign income in tax return form ?

If you are filing a joint return with her then you both must include all of her income.  If not, you need to file Married Filing Separately (which will probably greatly increase your taxes) and she probably doesn't have to file at all.  But you can't file "single"
helloa

@BobinCT, I am planning to file as married jointly on the condition of Non-Resident Spouse. How to file my wife's income or which form needs to be filled up ? Also She has paid the tax to foreign country(Nepal) where she had lived or work. On this condition she again needs to pay the tax ? Or How report her paid tax too ?

Arif,

please disregard the discussion in the other answer.

If you are married at the end of the year, your only options are married filing separately or married filing jointly (or if you have a qualifying child living with you as HoH).

Assuming you are a resident alien, US citizen or permanent resident, the information below applies to you. If you are neither of those or are not sure, please post back with your visa status and time in the US.

Filing a tax return with a non-resident alien spouse

If a person is not a US citizen, permanent resident or resident alien, they are considered a non-resident alien.

There are several reasons why someone is a non-resident alien.

•         They live abroad

•         They were in the US but don’t meet the Substantial Presence Test

•         They are in the US but are an exempt individual (J, Q, F, M, A, G visa holders meeting certain conditions, see http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/The-Green-Card-Test-and-the-Substantial-Prese...)

Generally, a non-resident alien (NRA) cannot file a joint return. That would mean that if you are married to a NRA, you would need to file as married filing separately or HoH if you have a qualifying child and meet the HoH requirements.

Filing married filing separately requires providing the SSN/ITIN for your spouse. However, NRAs often do not have an ITIN/SSN. If they are not required to get an ITIN (meaning they are not required to file a US tax return), you can file without it and write “NRA” in the field for the ITIN/SSN. Note however, that you wont be able to e-file doing this.

If the NRA spouse has no US source income, the other spouse can also take an exemption for the NRA spouse on a married filing separately return. In order to do this, the NRA spouse needs to apply for an ITIN if they don’t have an SSN/ITIN.

Another option is to file married filing jointly. Since an NRA can not do that, both spouses need to sign a statement that they both choose to treat the NRA spouse as a resident alien for the entire year. This allows them to file jointly. The choice is valid for any following year unless suspended or revoked.

Treating the NRA spouse as resident alien means that they are required to report worldwide income. If they have foreign earned income, they might be able to use the foreign earned income exclusion on form 2555(if the meet either the bona fide residency or physical presence test) and/or use the foreign paid tax credit on form 1116.

Filing jointly will also require the NRA spouse treated as resident alien for tax purposes to have an SSN or ITIN.

For more info read here:

Publication 519:

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Publication-519,-U.S.-Tax-Guide-for-Aliens-1

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/U.S.-Citizens-and-Resident-Aliens-Abroad---No...

ITIN

To get an ITIN (Individual Tax Identification Number) you will need to fill out form W7 and attach it to the front of your tax return. You will also need to submit additional documentation to prove your identity and status. A passport is the only stand alone document, otherwise you need to submit two documents (see instructions). You can submit original documents, however, it is safer to submit copies. These copies need to certified by the issuing agency.

Send your return, form W7 and the supporting documents to the address in the instructions (see link below).

You can also apply in person at an IRS office handling ITIN applications (see link ITIN Acceptance Agents).

Turbotax does not support form W7, but you can download it and fill it out manually (or using a pdf editor).

Form W7:

www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw7.pdf

Instructions for Form W7:

www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw7.pdf

ITIN Acceptance Agents (US and international)

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Acceptance-Agent-Program

To apply for an ITIN from abroad:

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Obtaining-an-ITIN-from-Abroad

Additional publications of interest:

http://www.irs.gov/file_source/pub/irs-pdf/p1915.pdf

www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p 501 .pdf

www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p 515 .pdf

www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p 519 .pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies