turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can i still claim HOH if i signed the 8332 to the noncustodial parent

Before signing 8332 i read the form and it just gives him the right to claim them as dependants and as i understand it its the only way he could claim them as dependants
1 Reply
Intuit Alumni

Can i still claim HOH if i signed the 8332 to the noncustodial parent

Yes, if you met the other qualifications to be head of Household. 

If you are the custodial parent, you can have an agreement with the other parent (8332) and the other parent can claim the child's exemption, but you still might be eligible for the filing status of Head of Household, as well as receiving and Earned Income Credit and claiming the Child and Dependency Care Credit.

Enter your information, and that of the child's, in the TurboTax program.

Click "yes" on the screen that asks if you have an 8332 agreement with the other parent.

You will lose the child's exemption, but you may still file Head of Household.

According to the IRS:

"You may still qualify for head of household filing status even though you aren't claiming an exemption for your child, if you meet all of the following requirements:

  1. You're unmarried or considered unmarried on the last day of the year.
  2. You paid more than half of the cost of maintaining a household that is your home and the main home of your child for more than one-half of the year.
  3. Your child is either your qualifying child (whether you can claim the child as a dependent or not) or your qualifying relative whom you can claim as a dependent."

(edited 2-20-17)


message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies