turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I skip adding a 1099-MISC if I lost a lawsuit but was still issued a 1099-MISC?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Can I skip adding a 1099-MISC if I lost a lawsuit but was still issued a 1099-MISC?

No, you cannot skip it.  As IRS also receives a copy of your Form 1099-MISC, to avoid any correspondence from IRS, you need to report it.  To possibly reduce your tax liability, you might be able to deduct any legal expenses you spent in the lawsuit.  By law, you can usually deduct legal expenses that you incur in attempting to produce or collect taxable income or that you pay in connection with the determination, collection, or refund of any tax. 

You can also deduct legal expenses that are

• related to either doing or keeping your job
  • for tax advice related to a divorce, if the bill specifies how much is for tax advice and it is determined in a reasonable way, or to collect taxable alimony.  

IRS also allows expenses of resolving tax issues related to profit or loss from business, rentals or royalties, or farm income and expenses.  You would deduct qualified legal fees on a Schedule A of your Form 1040.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

No, you cannot skip it.  As IRS also receives a copy of your Form 1099-MISC, to avoid any correspondence from IRS, you need to report it.  To possibly reduce your tax liability, you might be able to deduct any legal expenses you spent in the lawsuit.  By law, you can usually deduct legal expenses that you incur in attempting to produce or collect taxable income or that you pay in connection with the determination, collection, or refund of any tax. 

You can also deduct legal expenses that are

• related to either doing or keeping your job
  • for tax advice related to a divorce, if the bill specifies how much is for tax advice and it is determined in a reasonable way, or to collect taxable alimony.  

IRS also allows expenses of resolving tax issues related to profit or loss from business, rentals or royalties, or farm income and expenses.  You would deduct qualified legal fees on a Schedule A of your Form 1040.

Thank you for the information, I figured I'd have to report it but it doesn't hurt to ask 🙂 Now I'm just wondering why they issued a 1099-MISC... I lost the case so I didn't receive any income from it, in fact I owe it.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies