turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I select head of household? I am unmarried but live with my significant other, I pay more than 50% of rent, and I have no dependents.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Can I select head of household? I am unmarried but live with my significant other, I pay more than 50% of rent, and I have no dependents.

No, your filing status is Single.  For head of household you must have a qualifying person as a dependent on your tax return and you must have provided over one-half the cost to maintain the home.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Likely, you may not.  The qualifying person for Head of Household purposes is a child, parent, or relative who meets certain conditions (see below).  See also here.

A taxpayer may qualify for Head of Household filing status if you:

• Were unmarried as of December 31, 2023 and
  • Paid more than half the cost of keeping up your home during the tax year (rent, mortgage, utilities, etc.), and
  • Supported a qualifying person.

The conditions are stricter than those for claiming a dependent.  For example, you might be able to claim a roommate as your dependent, but not as a qualifying person for Head of Household status.

A qualifying child would be:

• Your child (including legally adopted), stepchild, foster child, sibling, half-sibling, step-sibling, or a descendant of any of them (for example, your grandchild or niece) AND
  • Permanently and totally disabled OR under the age of 19 as of December 31, 2023 (under 24 if a full-time student) and younger than you (or your spouse, if filing jointly) AND
  • Lived with you for more than half the year AND
  • Single (or if the child is married, you'd have to qualify to claim them as a dependent even if you're not going to claim them as such).

A child that is too old to qualify as a child might be able to qualify as a relative for Head of Household. A qualifying relative would be:

• Your mother or father (including your stepfather or stepmother), if you're qualified to claim them as a dependent (even if you're not claiming them as such) OR
  • A relative related by blood, legal adoption, or marriage other than a parent (see the full list of qualifying relatives below) AND lived with you for more than half the year AND that you're able to claim as a dependent (even if you're not claiming them as such).
    • Qualifying relatives:
      • Your brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, or stepsister
      • Your grandparent, or other direct ancestor, but not foster parent
      • A son or daughter of your brother or sister
      • A son or daughter of your half brother or half sister
      • A brother or sister of your father or mother
      • Your son-in-law, daughter-in-law, father-in-law, mother-in-law, brother-in-law, or sister-in-law

@aidacastro93 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies