Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I run scenarios to help make decisions now that will affect my 2024 taxes?

I am 67 and want to make significant withdrawals from IRA money to purchase a second home. I need to determine the difference in taxation if I  wait until 2025 when at least one of us will be retired and income will decrease.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Can I run scenarios to help make decisions now that will affect my 2024 taxes?

To plan for next year in the Online version you can go though the Estimate section. Click on Add A State to let you back into your return, Be very careful not to change any of your actual current return. Or you can set up another account to test in. You don't have to pay unless you want to print it out. You can use the same email address for 5 accounts. How to start a new online return
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-start-another-return-in-turbotax-onli...

It would be better to use the Desktop installed program.  In the Desktop program there is also a What-If worksheet. And in Desktop, you can save your return with another name to test in. Go up to FILE – SAVE AS. 

To use either you can go to the Estimated section.  You can just type W4 in the search box at the top of your return, click on Find. Then Click on Jump To and it will take you to the estimated tax payments section. Say no to changing your W-4 and the next screen will start the estimated taxes section.

OR go to
Federal Taxes or Personal (Home&Business version)
Other Tax Situations
Other Tax Forms
Form W-4 and Estimated Taxes - Click the Start or Update button

Say No to W4. When you get to the W4 and Estimated Taxes section, say you want to adjust your income to go though all the screens.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies