turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I remove a dependent from my return if she is not my dependent this year and I don’t have her ssn?

I am going through paternity process right now and have not had the child as a dependent so I filed her as not a dependent. She is still on my profile from last year but I don’t have access to her ssn and can’t file without it. I need to remove her from my profile or bypass her ssn. What do I do?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Can I remove a dependent from my return if she is not my dependent this year and I don’t have her ssn?

In the My Info section of the TurboTax online editions, you can delete her as a dependent.

how did you file in 2022 since it should not have bren possible to claim her without her SSN.

anyway, on the personal info tab if she's listed as a dependent click on edit then click on delete then yes

go back to the personal info tab, where you're listed click on edit only if your filing status is wrong. it should either be single, if you have no qualifying dependents or head of household if you do. if you need to change it continue through the pages until you get to the one where your filing status is listed and change to correct one. 

if no change required your done 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies