Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tmooney13
Returning Member

can i make a change to my 2021 filing i submitted?

Hi I am a server and recently learned that my state does not tax server tips. On Turbo Tax it asks at one point whether you have more tips to report, and I have said no the last two years because I did not want to get double taxed on the same money (my work already taxes my tips when they are earned). I just learned that I misunderstood what the system was asking me, and that I could have gotten money back, rather than paid more, if I had reported my tips. Is there a way for me to change this on my 2021 filing that I have already submitted? I think it would have a serious impact on the dollar value of the return.

Thank you!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Michele_H
Employee Tax Expert

Hi @tmooney13 , the short answer is yes, you can change this, but you will need to file an amended return.  Here is a link that explains what's needed to do this. 

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/amend-return/how-to-file-an-amended-return-with-the-irs/L6kO691...

Since you used TT software you should be able to login and amend your return directly within the software. 

All the best!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
AnthonyC CPA
Employee Tax & Finance Expert

Hi.  You can file an Amended tax return for 2021.  If you log into TurboTax and go to Amend my Return you would be able to make any required changes to your original return.  You can then file the Amended return for Federal (Form 1040X) and state if necessary.

Hope this helps answer your question.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
tmooney13
Returning Member

Thank you!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies