Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I Mail in my taxes even though I e filed them?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

No, not unless you want to amend something that you entered on your original return.  That would cause confusion at the IRS, and there'd probably be a lot of back-and-forth communication with you.

If you do need to make a change to a return you’ve already submitted your return via e-file, wait to see whether or not it's been accepted by the IRS.

• If it's rejected, you can change your return by going back into the TurboTax program.
  • If it's accepted, you'll need to amend your return. 

Please see the TurboTax Help article How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed for instruction on how to amend your previously-filed tax return.

You should wait to file your amended return until you get any refund you may have coming from your original return.  Even if your original return has been accepted by the IRS, it's still possible that the IRS could change your refund or balance due on that return. 

When you file a Form 1040-X, it becomes your new tax return for the tax year in which you file it.  It changes the original return to include your new information.

The IRS requires you to report all of your taxable income on your return.

No.    Not if the e-file is accepted which will not happens until Feb 12. 

Having two returned in the IRS system at the same time will red flag both returns for hand processing and letter writing  which will probably delay any refund for a year or more.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies