Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I just select code D? In my box 12 on my W-2, I have a code of D20 but there is not a code D20 to select.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Can I just select code D? In my box 12 on my W-2, I have a code of D20 but there is not a code D20 to select.

No, the code in Box 12 is pretty important. Look over the W2. If it shows D20,ask your employer what it should be. 

Here is a link that tells what the different codes in Box 12 mean. 

Codes in Box 12

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same problem. I have a D20 and D. TurboTax will not let me put two lines with "D" because it is flagged as a duplicate. However, there is no way to type "20" next to the D. Per the IRS guidelines, it says to add the year "to the left of the line" 12a - 12d.

@Anonymous wrote:

I have the same problem. I have a D20 and D. TurboTax will not let me put two lines with "D" because it is flagged as a duplicate. However, there is no way to type "20" next to the D. Per the IRS guidelines, it says to add the year "to the left of the line" 12a - 12d.

Add the two amounts together and enter that amount with a code D in box 12.

IRS W-2 Instructions page 19 - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw2w3.pdf#page=19

If any elective deferrals, salary reduction amounts, or nonelective contributions under a section 457(b) plan during the year are make-up amounts under the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994 (USERRA) for a prior year, you must enter the prior year contributions separately. Beginning with the earliest year, enter the code, the year, and the amount. For example, elective deferrals of $2,250 for 2020 and $1,250 for 2021 under USERRA under a section 401(k) plan are reported in box 12 as follows.

D 20 2250.00, D 21 1250.00. A 2022 contribution of $7,000 does not require a year designation; enter it as D
7000.00. Report the code (and year for prior year USERRA contributions) to the left of the vertical line in
boxes 12a through 12d

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies