Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I go back on documents to change my mistakes as filing marriage but single or separate . 1

Married but filing separate 
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Can I go back on documents to change my mistakes as filing marriage but single or separate . 1

Have you already filed your tax return and was it accepted by the IRS?  If so, you will have to amend the tax return to correct the filing status.

You will have to wait for the IRS to either Accept or Reject your filed federal tax return.
If the return is rejected you can make the necessary changes and e-file again.
If the return is accepted you will have to amend your original tax return. An amended return, Form 1040-X, can only be printed and mailed to the IRS if the original tax return was not e-filed. The IRS will take up to 16 weeks or longer to process an amended tax return.

Before starting to amend the tax return, wait for the tax refund to be received or the taxes due to be paid and processed by the IRS.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-change-correct-return-a...

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Did you already file your tax return? If not, you can change the filing status in TurboTax before you file.

If you already filed (and your e-file was accepted), it's not clear what the filing status was on the tax return that you filed, and what you want to change it to. If you filed as married filing jointly you cannot file an amended return to change the filing status after the due date of the return, which was yesterday, April 15. The only exception is if you filed as married filing jointly but you were not actually married as of December 31, 2023. If that is your situation, the procedure for correcting it is very complicated. You would need professional help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies