Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I file with the "Divorce" status on Turbo Tax and if so which edition should I use?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I file with the "Divorce" status on Turbo Tax and if so which edition should I use?

Since you were not divorced until 2019, you will need to file as Married Filing Separately or Head of Household (if you have a qualifying dependent and lived apart from your spouse for the entire last 6 months of the year). The only piece of information you will need to include on your return of your ex-spouses is their Name and Social Security number which is required by the IRS for Married Filing Separately. 

Yes, you can still file with TurboTax.  However, if you don't have their SSN, you will need to print and mail your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Divorced is not a filing status.  If you are no longer legally married as of 12/31/2018 then your filing status is Single.  Or if you have a qualifying person as a dependent and are providing over one-half the cost to maintain your home you may be able to have Head of Household filing status.

Okay, I was divorced in January 2019 and I have no contact with the person. Can I use my information for only and still fix with Turbo Tax?

You can file either as Married Filing Separately or Head of Household if you lived apart from your spouse for the last six months of 2018 and have a qualifying dependent and provided over one-half the cost of maintaining your home in 2018.

Okay, I will file “Married Filing Separate”. I’m in the military and I was deployed they last 6 months (separated) of 2018 and no one was in my house hold (no dependent). I will fill my taxes with Turbo Tax and I will email my forms to A representative for verification, is this okay?

Since you were not divorced until 2019, you will need to file as Married Filing Separately or Head of Household (if you have a qualifying dependent and lived apart from your spouse for the entire last 6 months of the year). The only piece of information you will need to include on your return of your ex-spouses is their Name and Social Security number which is required by the IRS for Married Filing Separately. 

Yes, you can still file with TurboTax.  However, if you don't have their SSN, you will need to print and mail your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You must have lived apart from your spouse for the last six months of 2018 to file as Head of Household.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies