turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I file my taxes independently at 19 years old?

Hi,

My son currently is 19 years old, a full-time college student and living in apartment in another state (TX). We support him over 50% of his expenses. He works and makes over 10K in both states (TX/CA). Can he file tax independently and report it in another state (TX) ?

Thank you so much.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

First of all, Texas has no state income tax, so forget about TX.

If you are paying for over half your college student's support you can claim him as a dependent on your own tax return.  He can file a tax return in order to seek tax that was withheld from his paycheck, but he MUST say on his own return that he can be claimed as someone else's dependent.  That means he is not eligible for stimulus payments. Dependents do not receive EIP payments.   The parent who can claim the student as a dependent can get the education credits and the 3rd EIP payment, as well as the $500 credit for other dependents on their own tax return.

For your child:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/dependents/help/when-do-i-have-to-answer-yes-to-being-claimed-as-a...

For you:

WHO CAN I CLAIM AS A DEPENDENT?

You can claim a child, relative, friend, or fiancé (etc.) as a dependent on your 2020 taxes as long as they meet the following requirements:

Qualifying child

• They're related to you.
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • They're a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • They're under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).
    • No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children.
  • They lived with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply).
  • They didn't provide more than half of their own support for the year.

Qualifying relative

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • They're a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • They lived with you the entire year (exceptions apply).
  • They made less than $4,300 in 2020.
  • You provided more than half of their financial support.

When you add someone as a dependent, we'll ask a series of questions to make sure you can claim them. There may be other tax benefits you can get when you claim a dependent.

Related Information:

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

First of all, any person who has income from working must file a tax return in their own name.  This does not, by itself, stop the child from being claimed as your dependent. That depends on all the facts and circumstances which the other answer has covered in detail. If the child can be claimed as a dependent, they must answer “yes, I can be claimed as a dependent by another taxpayer“ on their tax return, and this will affect some of the tax provisions available to them. 

The only time a child‘s income would be included on a parent‘s tax return is in certain types of investment situations.  If your child‘s income is less than $12,400, they would not be required to file a federal tax return, but they might be required to file a California state tax return, and they would certainly want to file a tax return to get a refund of any federal withholding.

Your son’s state tax situation could be complicated, and it may affect whether he is eligible to be claimed as a dependent.

There are two general principles here. First, the resident of a state is required to file a tax return and pay income tax on all their worldwide income in the state in which they live.  If a person is temporarily living and working in another state, they owe a non-resident tax return to that state which will report on in-state income only, then they also file a resident tax return for their home state that reports all their income. Their home state will give them a tax credit for taxes they paid on the non-resident return in the state where they live.  Texas does not have an income tax, so your son will only be required to file a California state full year resident return. 

The reason I say he will be required to file as a California resident is that being away at college is usually considered a temporary absence. In order to be a permanent resident of Texas, your son would have to establish a full domiciliary relationship to the state of Texas.  Your domicile is your permanent home. It is the place where you have the strongest connections. There is no single factor, but some of the factors that determine where your domicile is are where you live, where are you are registered to vote, where  where you have a drivers license, significant social relationships, your doctor, your bank, your church, and so on.  It is possible to live away from your main home for a long time without actually giving up your domicile. Establishing a new domicile also requires taking active steps to abandon your previous domicile.

All that being said, most of the time, college students are still domiciled with their parents. College living arrangements tend to be temporary, even when students are living in separate apartments.  If your son has not abandoned his California domicile, then he is a state resident of California for income tax purposes and will file a California state tax return for all his worldwide income.

However, if your son can argue that he has permanently abandoned his California domicile and established a new domicile in Texas, then he is a Texas state resident.  He would file a California nonresident return to only pay California tax on income earned while he was staying in California. Normally, he would file a Texas tax return to pay tax on all his worldwide income, but Texas does not have state income tax.

But if your son has abandoned his California domicile and established a new permanent domicile in Texas, then you can’t claim him as a tax dependent. You can’t enter his 1098–T on your tax return and you don’t qualify for the education credits.  He would enter his 1098T on his own tax return, but he won’t qualify for any any actual tax benefits because his income is currently too low to benefit from the American opportunity tax credit or the lifetime learning credit.

Bottom line is that he can’t be a Texas resident to avoid California income tax and also be your dependent.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. Can he file tax independently and report it in  (TX) ?

A. Simple answer: no. 

He still qualifies as your dependent and is considered a CA resident. 

There are two types of dependents, "Qualifying Children"(QC) and standard ("Qualifying Relative" in IRS parlance even though they don't have to actually be related). There is no income limit for a QC but there is an age limit, student status, a relationship test and residence test.

A child of a taxpayer can still be a “Qualifying Child” (QC) dependent, regardless of his/her income, if:

1. He is under age 19, or under 24 if a full time student for at least 5 months of the year, or is totally & permanently disabled
  2. He did not provide more than 1/2 his own support. Scholarships are excluded from the support calculation
  3. He lived with the parent (including temporary absences such as away at school, even if living off campus) for more than half the year.  If his primary purpose for  being in TX, is to attend school, then he is still considered to be living with you for both the dependency test and state of residence for tax reporting. 

So, it doesn't matter how much he earned. What matters is how much he spent on support. Money he put into savings does not count as support he spent on him self.

The support value of the home, provided by the parent, is the fair market rental value of the home plus utilities & other expenses divided by the number of occupants.

Carl
Level 15

My son currently is 19 years old, a full-time college student and living in apartment in another state (TX).

Where your son lives doesn't matter when it comes to taxes; yours or his.

We support him over 50% of his expenses.

Because your son is under the age of 24 and a full time student, there is absolutely no requirement for the parents to provide the student any support. Not one penny. The support requirement is on the student, and only the student. That requirement is, the child must not have provided more than half of their own support for the entire year. Scholarships, grants, 529 withdrawals, gifts from Aunt Mary, money from mom/dad *do not count* for the child providing their own support.  There are only two possible ways the child can provide more than half of their own support.

1) The child has a job or is self-employed and has been paid sufficient earnings from that work to justify a claim to providing more than half of their own support.

2) The child is the primary borrower on a *qualified* student loan and sufficient funds were distributed to the student during the tax year to justify a claim of providing more than half of their own support.

He works and makes over 10K in both states (TX/CA).

Your son "may" be required to file a tax return. If he does, then he must select the option for "I can be claimed on someone else's tax return". It does not matter if he is actually claimed on your tax return or not. The fact that he "CAN" be claimed is what matters here.

Can he file tax independently and report it in another state (TX) ?
Unfortunately (or fortunately for you) no. With only $10K (give or take a bit) of earned income there's no way possible that I can see, for him to have provided more than half of his own support for the entire tax year.

While the tax regulations assume that a child away at college is considered to live at home, because the college is a temporary absence, that presumption can be rebutted by the facts and circumstances. Some students do effectively abandon their original domicile with their parents and establish a new permanent domicile elsewhere. While it seems unlikely in the case where the child still requires significant support from the parents, the possibility should not be completely written off without considering the specific circumstances on a case by case basis.

Hi, 

Can he file his tax independently and not claimed by parents?

Thank you.

Carl
Level 15

Can he file his tax independently and not claimed by parents?

Keeping in mind what @Opus 17 states, it does not matter if the parents claim the student or not. The key word is "QUALIFY". If the parents *QUALIFY* to claim the student, then it does not matter if the parents claim the student or not. The student is still required to select the option for "I can be claimed on someone else's tax return".

So if the parent's "qualify" to claim the student, the student can not themselves as independent for tax purposes.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies