turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I download just w-2s from prior years, if so, how?

I want to download just the w-2 section for the previous two years without downloading the entire tax returns 
documents. Help?!
2 Replies

Can I download just w-2s from prior years, if so, how?

Only the current 2022 tax year for importing a W-2 is available.


If you cannot obtain the W-2 from your employer, then for a fee you can get a complete copy of a W-2 from the Social Security Administration - https://faq.ssa.gov/en-us/Topic/article/KA-02501


You can get a free Wage and Income transcript from the IRS - https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript


For a fee of $43 you can get a complete federal tax return to include copies of W-2's, if you mailed the tax return and included a paper W-2, from the IRS by completing Form 4506 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506.pdf


See this IRS Tax Topic - http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc159.html

Level 15

Can I download just w-2s from prior years, if so, how?

TurboTax (TT) does not have your W-2 (in either the on-line or desk top versions). However, it does have a "facsimile", if you typed in (or imported) your W-2 when you prepared your return. If all you need is the information from your W-2, you can get that from the facsimile (W-2 worksheet), found in the list of forms. Every bit of information on your actual W-2 will be on the TT worksheet. Whether whomever you need to show your W-2 to will accept the worksheet instead; you'll have to ask them. Your employer is the best source of an actual copy of your W-2. For more options, see:


Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing

Related Content

Manage cookies