Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Can i deduct lawyer fees paid to collect bad non-business debt?

I got divorced in 2012 and part of the divorce decree that we were responsible for our own debts we incur.  I had an AMEX card, my ex was an authorized user, which I forgot to close (over 4 yrs of non-use on the card).  He charged on the account in April & May 2016 (I was unaware until I received the statement).  I hired a lawyer to try to collect the funds and document w/ a legal contract for his repayment, which he refused to sign or re-pay me.  I had to pay AMEX to keep my credit in good standing.  I am going to write the total amount he charged and issue him a 1099C.  So, can I add the lawyer fees to the 1099C and deduct the lawyer fees associated with the attempted collection?  Thank you!
1 Reply
New Member

Can i deduct lawyer fees paid to collect bad non-business debt?

You can generally deduct attorney fees paid as a miscellaneous itemized deduction, subject to the 2% floor.

Please see the following IRS website for more information on Form 1099-C before you prepare the form:  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies