Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim preschool expenses if spouse has disability?

my understanding both parents must be working or the spouse has disability and not working to claim preschool expenses based on the questions in turbo tax, is this accurate?

can I claim the expenses if Im working and my spouse not working but has disability?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Yes, that is accurate.  If you are paying pre-school expenses so you can work and your spouse is disabled, then you you can claim the preschool expenses for the child and dependent care credit.  You will just need to put a check mark in the box that says your spouse was disabled in order to proceed with the credit.  You will also need to be sure that you have entered your earned income prior to trying to start the credit. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you,

I see also the option to add second child even though no similar preschool expenses and that somehow increase the refund amount, can you explain that part please?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

The amount you can use to calculate the credit increases with adding another child.  You may qualify for a tax credit of up to 35 percent of qualifying expenses of $3,000 ($1,050) for one child or dependent, or up to $6,000 ($2,100) for two children.  

For additional information please click this link:  The Ins and Outs of The Child Care Credit

@Shallan 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies