Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jholshev

Can I claim my wife as a dependent if she is a foreign national who was living with me from Nov 2015? She doesn't yet have a US DL or SSN.

Resident visa will be issued in May of this year.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Can I claim my wife as a dependent if she is a foreign national who was living with me from Nov 2015? She doesn't yet have a US DL or SSN.

Generally, you cannot claim your spouse as a dependent unless if you file a separate return, you can claim an exemption for your spouse only if your spouse: 

-had no gross income from US, 

-isn't filing a return, and 

-wasn't the dependent of another taxpayer.

If your spouse is a nonresident alien, he or she must have either an SSN or an ITIN if:

You file a joint return,

You file a separate return and claim an exemption for your spouse, or

Your spouse is filing a separate return.

You will need to apply an ITIN for her. https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/General-ITIN-Information

If your spouse is a nonresident alien, is not being claimed as an exemption, and does not have an identifying number (SSN or ITIN), enter “NRA” in the space for Spouse's identifying number. Do not leave the space blank. If you have applied for an SSN or ITIN, enter “Applied for.”

You can still use TurboTax to prepare the form 1040, but can't e file.  Instead, you will print the form, attach to W-7 with the required documentation and mail them together to the designated IRS location at Austin TX. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies