Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim fiance if he receives pension? And daughter is having a baby next week, I can claim her too right? Also waiting for W2's from 2 other jobs by the way yahoo!

My fiance gets 2600.00 a month from disability pension and now with my daughter having a baby let's just say life is getting more expensive! Also I had my unemployment take taxes out, I assume you can pull those records because I don't have exact amount I have received.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I claim fiance if he receives pension? And daughter is having a baby next week, I can claim her too right? Also waiting for W2's from 2 other jobs by the way yahoo!

Since his disability pension is taxable (or is it a Veterans Admin benefit?), his income is too high for you to claim him as a dependent.  He must file his own return.

As for your daughter, is SHE your dependent? Did she have 2016 income and/or live with you? And what about the baby's father?

I had my unemployment take taxes out, I assume you can pull those records 

Sometime in January,you should be able to pull your 1099-G from your state's unemployment website.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Since his disability pension is taxable (or is it a Veterans Admin benefit?), his income is too high for you to claim him as a dependent.  He must file his own return.

As for your daughter, is SHE your dependent? Did she have 2016 income and/or live with you? And what about the baby's father?

I had my unemployment take taxes out, I assume you can pull those records 

Sometime in January,you should be able to pull your 1099-G from your state's unemployment website.

Hal_Al
Level 15

If his disability pension is social security disability, reported on form SSA-1099; the answer is still no, you can't claim him, but for a different reason.
Social security doesn't count as income, for the dependent income test, but social security money he spends on homself does count as support not provided by you, for the support test. Money he puts into savings & investment does not count as support he spent on himself.
The IRS has a worksheet that can be used to help with the support calculation. See: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/teacher/worksheet_for_determining_support_4012.pdf"...> The support value of a home is the fair market rental value, divided by the number of occupants.

A person can still be a  dependent, if not a Qualifying Child, if he meets the 6 tests for claiming a dependent:
1. Closely Related OR live with the taxpayer ALL year
2. His/her gross taxable income for the year must be less than $4,050 (2016)
3. The taxpayer must have provided more than 1/2 his support
In either case:
4. He must be a US citizen or resident of the US, Canada or Mexico
5. He must not file a joint return with his spouse or be claiming a dependent of his own
6. He must not be the qualifying child of another taxpayer

thank you and my daughter is only 16 so yes she is my dependent and the baby's father does not work he is a student and my daughter and baby live with me and are supported by me and my family. I'm planning on getting her a car with the tax money and doing whatever I can to help them with the baby. Thank you.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies