dyons

Can I change my child's dependent status from year to year to get the best outcome?

I would like to know if I can stop claiming my child as a dependent on my 2019 taxes if it benefits him to file his own taxes specifying that he is not a dependent on anyone else's return.

Until now, I have claimed him - all criteria met - on my returns as a dependent, but for 2019 I wonder if he could get the 1200/- stimulus check if he were to file on his own without being our dependent. (He has a small self-employment income for 2019 for which he would have to file taxes anyway.)

And then revert to claiming him as a dependent in a later year if that is suitably beneficial to me?

Any advice on going back and forth like this on a dependent would be much appreciated. I could not find any IRS advice on this situation.

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anonymous
Not applicable

the question on the child's return is "CAN" someone (such as your parent) claim you as a dependent.

Not "DID" .......

there's no requirement to claim dependents but that doesn't mean the child can answer NO to the question on their return

the tax laws (IRC code section  152) has certain tests  for determining whether a person is a qualifying child or qualifying relative.  if they are then they CAN be claimed as a dependent. 

dyons

Thanks for your clear response.

I just wanted to confirm that the CARES Act stimulus check does not apply to those between 17-24 and who CAN be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return.

The reason why I ask for this confirmation is because most popular press reports are quite sloppy and say that college aged persons will not receive the stimulus check because they ARE claimed as dependents.

I have searched for the official IRS documents for this point, or even the CARES bill but cannot find the specific description. Not was I able to find any TurboTax information on this specific point.

Thanks again for your help.