Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mr52

Can a person on medi-cal be used as a dependant?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
ChelsiE2

Yes.  When determining whether someone should be considered your dependent, their health insurance provider is irrelevant.  Amounts received from welfare, social security, state funded health insurance are not included as support that person provided for themselves. 

For more information on who you can claim as a dependent, please see below: 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5187060

ambon

You can claim them as a dependent. HOWEVER, they may lose their status with Medi-Cal if the household income they are included in is too high. I am not claiming my zero income 26 year old daughter who lives with me and who I support, even though it would be beneficial for me, because she will lose her eligibility for free healthcare coverage if I do so.

huajie

Then what about parents. I support my parents 100%, they are in their 70's. If I claim them as dependents in my tax return, will my income be taken into consideration for their Medi Cal qualification?

Fax2me

I have the same question My mother has Medi-cal and she is my dependent. I own her home and pay more than half of her expenses. Does that mean that if medical checks the status she would lose her benefit? Should I remove her from my taxes?

Dutchy

Will they loose their Medi Cal if we claim them.  I am sooo confused as I support my boyfriend and he loves with me. 

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

You may be able to claim someone who lives with you and that you support as an Other Dependent on your tax return.

However, whether this would affect their Medi-Cal eligibility depends on various factors.

Here's a Medi-Cal Flowchart that may help to determine this.

[Edited 04/13/2022 11:42 pm] 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This seems in direct conflict with Financial Assistance FAQ 7 on the Calif. DHCS site, which says, "The adult who expects to be claimed as a tax dependent by his/her parents will have his parents income counted when determining income eligibility under the MAGI methodology. Federal regulatory reference is 42 CFR 435.603(f)(2)." Is there a distinction?

MarilynG
Expert Alumni

This is not always true.  The parents' income may be counted in some situations, but not in others.

Here's a Medi-Cal Flowchart that helps determine that decision.

@TaxExpertNOT

Glo0823

Does anyone know? I am confused with the chart 

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Yes, someone on medi-cal can be a dependent on someone else's tax return as long as they are a qualifying child/relative, see the link below (they don't have to be related necessarily).   Check with Medi-Cal to see how that affects eligibility.   

Who can I claim as a Dependent?    @Glo0823 

Glo0823

That’s what I am confused by the medical eligibility, the chart is a it confusing and I wanted to see if anyone else had advise on how it went for them.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

The key is whether you pay more than half of the support of the person you want to claim as a dependent.  The link below provides a worksheet that may help you.  Only you can calculate whether you pay more of the support for a person than they receive from other sources including Medi-Cal.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies