turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

California Tax Refund very large

I am married filing jointly. I received a large severance last year and didn't secure a new job. That severance was taxed at a higher rate (36%) than my normal pay stub (22%). My total annual Income was higher as was the tax amount, which is what I expected. Net net, I owed less to the Fed by about 40% less for 2023 which I assume is because the withholding was relatively high. Granted, there are other sources of income and complexities, but let's assume those aren't hugely different. But when I did California state tax - because the tax withholding was so much higher (line 71), even taking into account the higher income, TurboTax is indicating a giant refund - something like 3x my refund of the prior year. Is that to be expected? I have gone over all of my entries and the fact that the Federal was not anywhere near as different (sure, 40% is meaningful though) suggested to me that I was pretty close in this first attempt. I did an Internet search but couldn't find any additional information other than typically severance is treated like supplemental income and therefore can have higher withholdings that would ultimately be refunded. I just didn't expect such a wide disparity between Fed and Calif. Thanks for your help in advance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Yes that's very possible.  Federal and state are completely separate.  Just check over the state  return line by line.  

Thanks! I have figured it's 1) Calif doesn't tax unemployment which I received last year and 2) the withholdings were at supplemental so were way larger than a typical paycheck. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies