Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

VanceH

Calculation error on 2022 Form 2210ME

On the 2022 Form 2210ME, line 6 is meant to be "Enter line 2 or Line 5, whichever is less."  However, TurboTax is putting the LARGER value (line2) on line 6.  As a result, TurboTax is calculating an underpayment penalty which I should not have to pay. I don't seem to be able to override the value on line 6 with the correct figure.

Could you correct this, please?

Note: I installed updates earlier today.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

We do not know what you are referring to. On the form 2210ME (2022) Line 6 is the check box for head of household and line 2 is the check box for farming or fishing.

What lines are you actually referring to?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
VanceH

BillM-

Thanks for your quick reply!  We seem to be talking about different forms.  I'm referring to the form shown in the screenshot below.

-VanceScreenshot 2023-04-12 at 4.32.04 PM.png

VanceH

Not sure why the above screenshot isn't displaying in the forum.  Reposting as a JPEG....

Screenshot 2023-04-12 at 4.32.04 PM.jpg

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Oh, My Bad! These years of 2021 and 2022 are confusing me (I used to work on the 2220, the corporate version of the 2210, so when I see tax year 2022 in the context of underpayment, well, I get confused - not your fault.

I am sorry that you redacted the form so efficiently - I would have liked to see the dollar amounts on lines 1 through 7.

Any chance this is a short year return for you? This would force line 7 to be equal to line 2.

Did you check "2021 Form 1040ME, line 24 minus lines 25c, 25d, and 25e" to make sure that line 5 was actually equal to these numbers (as opposed to just the 2021 tax)?

Irish71

Don't know whether this helps but found this on TurboTax using search in upper right corner

How do I override (replace) an amount calculated by TurboTax?

TurboTax FAQ
by TurboTax199Updated January 04, 2023

In the TurboTax CD/Download software, you can override (replace) a calculated figure in Forms Mode. This feature is unavailable in TurboTax Online.

Important: Under normal circumstances, you shouldn't have to override anything. Returns that contain overrides cannot be e-filed and may not be covered under our 100% Accurate Calculation Guarantee. We're providing these instructions to customers who understand the risks, but wish to proceed anyhow.

1. Switch to Forms Mode if you're in the Step-by Step interview: Windows | Mac
  2. Right-click the line item value you want to override and select Override (Windows) or choose Override from the Edit menu (Mac)
  3. Enter the value; it should turn red, indicating an override
  4. Switch back to the interview by selecting Step-by-Step from the menu

To undo the override, follow the same directions except choose Cancel Override in Step 2 (Windows) or uncheck Override in the Edit menu (Mac).

When you run the final review, TurboTax will alert you of any overrides in your return.

VanceH

Ha!  No problem - too many 4 digit numbers with zeroes, ones, and twos 😉

As far as special situations go: this is not a short year for me, it is not my first time filing estimates, and I am not a farmer or fisherman.  

I am a freelancer and so I don't have anything on line 3 "2022 Maine Income Tax Withheld".  This seems to be handled correctly in the calculation as line 4 matches line 1.

My 2021 1040ME does not have any values on 25c, 25d, or 25e.

Cheers,

Vance

VanceH

@BillM223 Any luck figuring this out?  Should I use the "Override" approach mentioned by another poster above?

Thanks,

Vance

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Sorry, I am unable to reproduce the issue. If you feel comfortable doing the override, it is available to you - note: using the override may void the Accuracy Guarantee and it may prevent e-filing.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies