Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CA tax all income at ordinary rates. In other words capital gains are just part of total income. I need 2017 reftable to calculate $530,000 longterm capital gain profit.

Where can I access a 2017 reference table to access information on the IRS site regarding a tax bracket to calculate proceeds received from the sell of a home (longterm capital gains)?  Are gross proceeds taxed after the $250,000 exclusion is applied to capital gains for singles? Or before?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

CA tax all income at ordinary rates. In other words capital gains are just part of total income. I need 2017 reftable to calculate $530,000 longterm capital gain profit.

Yes the home sale exclusion is applied before tax is calculated.  It it excluded from taxable capital gains.  Here is a link to the tax brackets for 2017.  

In 2017, Capital gains tax rates for individuals were 15% for those individuals in the 25% - 35% marginal tax brackets and 20% for those individuals in the 39.6% marginal tax bracket.  Zero percent for those in 10%-15% brackets.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies